When one of the girls in my Bible study has a birthday, I let her choose her favorite meal for dinner and make her favorite dessert. When Alyssa had her birthday I was excited to make something red velvet! I knew that we probably wouldn't eat a whole 2 layer cake, so I decided to try this Paula Deen Red Velvet cake roll.
Some people are really intimidated by cake rolls, and I was before I tried my first one, but they really aren't hard at all. The main thing to shoot for is to have your towel laid out and dusted w/powdered sugar so you're ready to go as soon as the cake comes out. Work quickly and everything will be fine! I decided to do a step by step for this recipe so you can see this done for yourself :)
1. Mix the batter
2. Fold in the beaten egg whites
3. Spread the cake batter evenly in a greased parchment-lined jellyroll pan--then bake!
Red Velvet Cake Roll
from Paula Deen's Chocolate Celebration magazine
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar, divided
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 (1 oz.) bottle red food coloring
1/2 cup cake flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Cream Cheese white chocolate filling
1. Preheat oven to 350'. Coat a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray; line with wax paper, and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick & pale. Add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well. Beat in buttermilk, vinegar, and food coloring.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, adn salt; sift. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until combined.
4. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold eggs into chocolate mixture.
5. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
6. Sift 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar in a 15x10-inch rectangle on a cloth towel. Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan, and turn out onto prepared towel. Peel off wax paper. Sift remaining 2 tablespoons confections' sugar over cake. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake & towel together; place cake, seam side down, on a wire rack. Cool cake completely.
7. Gently unroll cake roll. Spread with Cream Cheese White Chocolate Filling. Reroll cake without towel; place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust cake with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Cut into 3/4 in. slices to serve. Garnish with chocolate sauce and fresh mint leaves, if desired.
Cream Cheese White Chocolate Filling:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup coarsely chopped white-chocolate morsels (i omitted)
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese & butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in white chocolate morsels.