Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chess bars

aka Paula' Deen's "Gooey Butter Cakes"

I've made these countless times for the Bible study girls and they keep asking me for the recipe but I have failed to post it b/c they are always gone before I can get a picture!  Thankfully one of the girls in the group snapped one for me of a bar she had taken home :)

These are so good and SO easy--I made them the other night in less than 15 minutes!  It's one of those "doctored cake mix" recipes so food snobs will just have to suck it up, but the great thing is that you can also do tons of different variations based on different cake mixes.  I've made it with a chocolate cake mix base and added sifted cocoa powder in the topping for one of the most gooey decadent brownie type creations--you've got to try it!

Here's the basic recipe from Paula Deen:
Cake:
1 (18.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted

Filling:
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
16 oz. powdered sugar
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lightly grease a 13x9 baking pan (I use a pyrex pan)
In the bowl of an electric mixer or a medium to large bowl, combine cake mix, egg, & butter until evenly mixed.  Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.
In same bowl beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs & vanillla.  Dump in powdered sugar and beat well.  Reduce mixer speed & slowly pour in butter until mixture is evenly combined. 
Pour filling onto cake base & spread evenly.
Bake 40-50 minutes--you want the center to be gooey so don't bake it too long.  I usually go about 45 minutes, taking it out when I can really smell it (your house will smell amazing!).
Remove from oven & cool completely.  (I refrigerate over night)
Cut into squares to serve. (yields 20-24 squares)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, that sounds amazing! Is there a way to make blog posts printer friendly? You have had so many that I want to try and I always manage to get them printed off but I always wondered in there was such a thing as a 'printer friendly' blog post! Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete