Monday, September 13, 2010

Sopapilla Cheesecake

Apologies in advance for horrid pictures, but I couldn't wait to post this!

Last Tuesday I decided to do a Mexican themed night for our Bible study dinner--complete with burrito casserole and white queso cheese dip (yum!).  I had the peanut butter cookies from the TWD recipe that week, but I wanted something a little more substantial (you know me...I can never just do one thing!). 

When we were kids I remember going to a crazy Mexican-ish restaurant in Denver Colorado called Casa Bonita.  It is really over the top with "cliff divers" and flame jugglers, and crazy shows, but it was one of my very favorite things to do when we would be in Colorado for the summer!  Well, they had this awesome service--instead of a "bottomless bread basket" you got unlimited sopapillas!  Basically fried squares of dough which are sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar and you can eat them with honey--so amazing! 

Several months back I saw a recipe for a sopailla cheesecake while browsing my blogs and it never left my head.  I was shocked to see that I had not bookmarked it, but a quick search in my Google reader directed me to Diana's Cocina.

Now, my picture is nothing in comparison to hers which caught my eye...but I guess that is one of the problems with making things to serve after it gets dark...

I think this is the Bible study girls' favorite thing I've made so far.  They were all groaning as they ate it!  I served it warm and completely plain, but it would be great with some ice cream or whipped cream for that matter...  It was also fabulous cold the next day.  And seriously, this is about as simple as it gets!


Sopapilla Cheesecake
from Diana's Cocina

2 packages of crescent rolls
2 8oz packages of cream cheese (softened)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter, melted
2 teaspoon Mexican vanilla (i just used regular...)
Cinnamon-sugar mixture for topping, 2/3 cup sugar, and a Tablespoon of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Open one package of crescent rolls and line the bottom of a lightly sprayed 9x13 baking pan to form bottom crust.

In a large bowl mix with hand held blender the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth and spoon out over the crust. Take the second package of crescent rolls and spread to form top crust. Pinch perforated edges together where needed.

Mix the melted butter, cinnamon-sugar and pour evenly over top crust.

Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on preference. Once the crescents are done it is ready.  I actually baked mine for 45 minutes (the same time as the casserole I made that night) and it was perfect!

You should absolutely make this because it is so easy, makes several servings, and is out of this world!

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. Love sopapillas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, can I be in your Bible study? Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this once before but wasn't able to get the recipe. I agree. It is fairly simple, but absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm saving it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I'm still struggling to take good photos in anything but perfect sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sopapillas. I haven't had those in ages. And in a cheesecake. How perfect is that. Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of sopapillas, but this dish sounds great and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete