Tuesday, August 4, 2009

strawberry cream cookies

I still had a little tub of strawberry cream cheese icing left over from the cake I made last week, and needed a way to use it! I wanted a cookie that wouldn't be too sweet or overpowering with the icing, and i found a recipe in one of my thousands of taste of home magazines for cream cheese cutouts. I made the dough Monday night, but had to let it chill in the fridge. then today I had a stupid flare up w/my cfs/fibro symptoms and had to spend most of the day in bed. I finally started feeling a little better around 7:30 this evening and decided that i might as well make the cookies and take some in to work for our meeting tomorrow.

cream cheese cookie dough


butchy thinks it's delish!

These cookies were supposed to be cutouts-but I don't believe it! They got too soft super fast and i couldn't move them without them totally falling apart. so i stuck them back in the fridge for a few minutes and then made them into balls and flattented them into disks.

These cookies were definitely not overpowering and I think they made a pretty good match with the icing...but I felt like something was...off. maybe too much flour? I'm not really sure---but they were pretty bland without the icing. I think next time I will just use a basic butter cookie recipe, but I was glad to try these.





Cream Cheese Cutouts f/m Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies & Bars special issue
makes approx. 6 dozen cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1-2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg & vanilla. Combine flour & salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Cover and refridgerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.

I didn't roll out and cut these, which the recipe goes on to instruct. Instead, I just rolled them into about 1-in. balls and then flattened them with the bottom of a cup that I had dipped in flour.

The icing I used was my strawberry cream cheese icing that I've used on the cakes and cupcakes. **NOTE: this is the recipe I use to ice a 2 layer cake! I iced the cookies with what was left of the frosting after finishing the cake, so you could probably use a fourth of this recipe if just icing cookies**

1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese at room temperature.
4 tbsp. butter, room temp.
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup pureed strawberries.

Cream butter & cream cheese until combined. Add powdered sugar, little by little, until smooth, then add strawberries. More powdered sugar can be added to thicken, but this is more of a glaze consistency--so don't expect to decorate with it!


Btw...here is a picture of the finished cheesecake right before going to Jr's.

they loved it!

1 comment: