Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TWD: two for the price of one!

I missed last week's treat due to illness, but got to make it later on and that Swedish visiting cake was WONDERFUL!  Such a simple recipe and it turned out great!  I was also very exicted to use my cast iron skillet from my granny for the first time.  Thanks to Nancy of The Dogs Eat the Crumbs (sounds like my house!) for this simple and delicious pick!



For this week, Melissa of Love at First Bite chose the Sweet Cream Biscuits from page 23.  I was so excited to make these because just the other day I was talking to hubs about how I need to learn to make biscuits!


Well, these were wonderful!  Super easy to throw together, once again only requiring a couple of dishes and very little mess...and so addicting!  I'm not really sure why Dorie says to cut these w/a 2 in. biscuit cutter--they were tiny, and I will definitely use a bigger cutter next time--but they were the perfect size for popping into your mouth! (bad choice...my tummy is too full...)  She also says you will get about 12 biscuits...I got at least 2 dozen...another reason why I questioned the size of the biscuit cutter.  I even googled "diameter" to make sure I wasn't just confusing it with radius! lol.

I ate a few with my favorite cream honey and some fresh lemon curd : )


I was surprised at how high the little biscuits puffed up!  If only my puff pastry would get his high...


I definitely recommend BOTH of these recipes, and it was a nice change of pace to have something a little less "fancy" and time consuming.  Both of these can be thrown together in minutes and make for wonderful snacking...I think I'm gonna use some of the rest of the biscuits for mini ham sandwiches for hubs to snack on tonight.  He's gonna love me!  : )

And don't forget to stop by the TWD site to see who baked along this week!

17 comments:

  1. Wow! Your biscuits rose in to the stratosphere. Very nice. I didn't even notice Dorie's reference to size of cutter. Guess I should have read closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I am extremely impressed by your biscuit making prowess! :) Mind did not rise nearly as high as yours did and I'm jealous! Oh, and wasn't the Swedish Visiting cake yummy? Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those things! You got amazing lift. I also questioned the 2" cutter but got lazy and cut mine into square (or rectangles, whatever).

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOly moly!! That's quite a rise you got there!! I must know your secret :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your biscuits rose so tall!! I thought mine looked good, but yours are amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY!!! Look how TALL your biscuits are. What is your secret?? Those look wonderful!!!

    The Swedish cake was delicious wasn't it. Plan to make it again - like today maybe.

    Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, yours got so tall!! Did you follow the recipe exactly? I wish mine looked like yours! Great job! Thanks for baking my selection this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your biscuits are awesome! you have skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the tallest biscuits around! They look fantastic, and I can't decide which is better: honey or lemon curd. Mmm. I loved the Swedish visiting cake too--great use of your grandmother's pan:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twofers are always nice! Yep, loved the cake and holy cow, you sure did get some nice rise on those biscuits. Highest ones I've seen yet! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your biscuits look amazing! They rose so high, mine did not rise near that high. They look so delicious. That is so amazing that you could use your grandmother skillet - I'm sure it only added to the cake's taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've obviously got the magic biscuit-making touch. Those are beauties! Seeing your lovely tea cake makes me think I should bake another one. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep thinking I left you a message, someone else did the same as you, baked the cake and the biscuits! They both look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow your biscuits rose high! They look awesome! I baked the swedish visiting cake last week but never got around to blogging about it. I wish I would have thought to combine them into a single post! Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayum, girl. Those are impressive biscuits. I was happy with mine until I saw yours! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah.

    That first delightful dessert looks like sweet cornbread, and I know everyone else has commented on your biscuits, but those treats definitely tower above any biscuits I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, yours looks like they rose beautifully! You must be a natural :)

    ReplyDelete