Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TWD: Chocolate-crunched Caramel Tart

For this week's TWD post, Carla of Chocolate Moosey chose the Chocolate-Crunched Caramel Tart from pages 355-357 of BFMHTY.

Well, I can't offer a review of this yet, b/c I haven't tried it, but I enjoyed making it! It was my first time making homemade caramel and it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be!

I made the tart dough last night, but didn't read far enough through the recipe to where it instructed not to mold so much that the dough "loses it's crumbly texture" oops...I totally kneaded it until it was like normal pie dough... but from the bits that I have sneaked a taste of, it still seems crumbly.


I used a smaller tart pan, so my caramel/peanut layer was thicker than I think it should have been, but from my licks of the spoon I think that's not a bad thing.



i also had WAY too much ganache due to my smaller size, but my co-workers aren't huge on dark chocolate, so I think the ratio will be more to their liking this way.

topped w/a few more honey-roasted peanuts

Also, I have broken the rule about serving it the same day, and am refrigerating this overnight and then letting it come up to temp at work tomorrow for everyone to eat. Hopefully it will still be good!

I will update tomorrow, hopefully with a picture of a tart slice and review of the finished product!

Be sure to check out the TWD blogroll to see how the other bakers did, and check out Carla's blog for the recipe. Thanks for another great challenge!
____________________________________________________________________
Update: the verdict is in--the tart is a hit! All my co-workers have enjoyed it and commented on how rich it is (I mean really, if I had included the full amount of chocolate it would have been crazy!). I think I should have decreased the amount of tart dough I used considering that I had a smaller pan, b/c it was very hard to cut, and the corners were super-thick, but it tasted just like shortbread and was so yummy! I didn't lose the crumbly texture despite my over-mixing. I have a picture, though not a good one, that I will post tonight.

8 comments:

  1. YUMMY! Very nice tart and the caramel was easy, wasn't it? Your friends at work must just adore you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! I liked the whole recipe as it was, but too much caramel is definitely not a bad thing. It was truly nice of you to share this fabulous treat with your co-workers. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks terrific, I'm glad it was enjoyed by your lucky co-workers. My caramel layer was a lot thicker than my ganache layer too and I thought it was perfect that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic and I love the tart pan. Glad all the coworkers loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful! I, too, waited a day to serve the tart and didn't have any problem. I'm glad to know that someone else was rough on the dough...I always knead it too much.

    ReplyDelete