Wednesday, January 13, 2010

i'm sick and need to use up some veggies

...and, for some strange reason, i always crave eggs when i'm sick...put it all together and you get....




veggie quiche!!

so, in all honesty, this was not the best thing to eat with a stomach virus, but, for serious, all I want to eat when I'm sick (any kind of sick) is eggs. And I didn't want to make another omelette, and I knew the veggies in the crisper would go bad if I didn't use them soon, so, well, there you have it!

It is oh so simple:
-saute whatever veggies you have on hand in some butter or olive oil (use about 2 tbsp of fat) over medium heat until soft . I used mushrooms, red bell peppers, and onions, and then threw in some frozen spinach that I had thawed in the microwave. I also sprinkled in some kosher salt.

-roll out some pie dough using those dough scraps that have been hanging out in your fridge...or of course you can use a pre-made crust, or go crustless to save some calories...but when you're sick you don't feel like saving calories! **Note--I used some of my leftover go-to pie crust without thinking about the sugar in the recipe...it was a bit too sweet for this dish, so maybe you don't just want to use your scraps...**

-whisk together 4 to 6 eggs (i used 4 b/c I was using a super small pie plate) and 1 to 1 3/4 cup milk or cream, or a combination. Also include some pepper and you could throw in whatever other spices sound nice...I think next time I will saute my veggies in some smoked paprika as well...

-Arrange your veggies over the bottom of your pie crust. Top with shredded cheese (I used the last of the walmart fiesta blend that was in my fridge...about 1/2--3/4 cup...you can use more or less.) Then pour egg/milk mixture over the top. I had a little too much so I scooped some of the veggies and cheese out and put it in a little ramekin and topped w/the remaining egg mixture.

Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.


This was a good little thing to eat while I was sick. It's yummy cold or reheated and it gets a bit of nutrients in! Of course, you can always make it more delicious with bacon or pancetta or something like that too...

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Looks good. I recently bought some smoked paprika, and I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete