I made this delicious pie for our Sunday night get-together for Lacey, and it was quite a hit! It is really quite simple to throw together and looks impressive. The chocolate filling is actually similar to a chocolate cheesecake but without eggs. You should try it!
Strawberry Truffle Pie
from Better Homes & Gardens Ultimate Desserts (another impulse special edition magazine purchase...but i've already used it so it doesn't count!)
- Pastry for Single Crust Pie (they reference their own recipe, but I used my favorite from the Aug-Sept. 09 Food network mag)
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate peices (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 tbsp. orange liqueur or orange juice
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, stems removed and halved
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly, melted (i used a combo of cherry preserves and rhubarb raspberry jam b/c that's what I had on hand)
In a small saucepan combine chocolate and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. (in general I feel much safer to cook chocolate over a double boiler, but this way did work fine. Do what makes you feel comfortable) Add cream cheese and liqueur/juice. Cook and stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar.
Spread chocolate mixture in bottom of baked pastry sheel. Arrange strawberries over chocolate layer. Brush berries with melted jelly. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.