Tuesday, March 2, 2010

TWD...just the wrong week

I think that the Toasted Coconut Custard Tart that Beryl chose for this week's baking assignment sounds AMAZING...but I didn't make it.

For a few reasons:
1. I just finished making last week's recipe
2. Hubs will not eat it.
3. Most of my co-workers will not eat it.
4. I am in a deep blue funk and do NOT need anymore treats lying around the house to tempt me towards emotional binge-eating.
5. I'm still a bit under-the-weather and not feeling up to any major bake-tastic feats.
6. I'm contemplating a bit of a break in baking (at least in baking just for the sake of baking and challenges) in an effort to really focus on my health and getting in shape. I feel like I need a kick start, and the blueness of my moods lately is making me mindlessly nosh on whatever is lying about. Not a good choice.

I did make the Honey-Wheat cookies from last week (chosen by Flourchild). I mean, they're full of wheat germ, honey, and lemon zest with only a stick of butter and half a cup of sugar--this is diet food! ;)



I made them for my mommy. I invited her over last Thursday after one of her dear friends had some very serious complications during a medical procedure that caused her to go into a coma and to pass away early this week. She needed to be mothered a little bit. I fed her quiche and made these cookies and served them with some lemon curd which my mommy loves. And I hugged her and encouraged her and we cried together. It has been an emotional week. The cookies were good, but the comfort was better.



Well, here's a little sunshine recipe to cheer us up:

Lemon Curd
from Martha Stewart Everyday Food, Sept. 2009
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest, plus 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 8 large egg yolks (reserve whites for another use
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter cut into 1/2 in. pieces
In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, zest, and egg yolks; whisk in lemon juice and salt.

Add butter and place pan over medium-high. Cook, whisking constantly, until butter has melted, misture is thick enough to coat the back of a sppon, and small bubbles form around the edge of pan, about 5 min. (do not boil)

Remove pan from heat while continuing to whisk. Pour curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass bowl.i usually skip this Press plastic wrap against the survace of curd and refrigerate until cool. (To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 2 weeks) in my experience, it also freezes well

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for your sad times! But your mom is lucky to have such a great daughter!

    Lemon curd is on my Top 50 list! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your Mommy is feeling better.

    I love that curd recipe. Used it this weekend in a layer cake. Perfect. Like the idea of serving these cookies with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you're having a rough week. The cookies look lovely and it sounds like the visit brought your mom some comfort.

    I feel the same way about not wanting to have too many goodies around for emotional eating, but baking makes me happy, so it's a tough call which to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the blog's new look! Hope you're feeling better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE this post! Honest, real, and super true to life! Praying for your mom and you both as God draws close to you during these emotional seasons. What a perfect picture of the idea mother- daughter relationship. And i guess if lemon curd will make a bad day a little joyful...then I must try it. (even though I don't usually like lemon things) BTW, love your new blog look! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete